The history of the land long predates the beginnings of Colonial America. The Lenape were stewards of the land for 10,000 years. The Lenape people's care for the land, natural systems and ecologies were hallmarks of their community.
William Penn grants the ‘Welsh Tract’ to Quakers for farming and mining.
Since the 1860's
St. Charles Borromeo Seminary has grown into a spiritual learning campus. Over time the property has grown with the construction of the Upper and Lower Campus and other complementary additions.
1925 to 1928
Construction of the Lower Campus designed by Paul Monaghan.
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia sold the St. Charles Seminary property to Main Line Health, a not-for-profit health system serving portions of Philadelphia and its western suburbs.
In recent decades, the role of the St. Charles property in the daily lives of community members has been limited and inactive.
Main Line Health looks forward to the day the campus can bring wellness to all.